"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future! "
Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, February 15, 2013

Mock Mac & Cheese Recipe (Cauli & Cheese)

Since being diagnosed with Lyme, finding recipes that are carb/sugar/and meat free and that actually taste good, has proven to be a bit of a challenge for me. Most of the ones that I have found have tasted like cardboard and need a LOT of tweaking.  So when I do find one that works and tastes good, I just HAVE to share it!    Plus, the way my brain has been working lately, I can't seem to remember anything.  So, having it here, I can pull it up anytime! :D

I have been using cauliflower in my recipes a lot lately.  It is not only delicious but is very low in carbohydrates and can be used in many recipes as a substitution for pasta, potatoes, and even pizza crust.  I have wanted mac & cheese for awhile now so I decided to search the web and see if there was a recipe for it using cauliflower, and wouldn't you know.....I FOUND ONE on the Food Network website.  I made this last night and it was a HUGE HIT with my family.  And you know what?  It didn't require any tweaking at all.  WOO HOO! 

For this DELICIOUS recipe, you will need the following:

INGREDIENTS:
Sea salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon (I used reg table salt)
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray (for pan)
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

COOKING DIRECTIONS:
*Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
*Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
*Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

*Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. 
*Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. 
*Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

ENJOY.....I know we did!

6 comments:

Meghan said...

Mmm, this looks so yummy. I want to try this and the cauliflower pizza crust soon! Kiddo sat next to me in church today for a few minutes, tell him to stop growing!

Hope said...

I like it that you have already tested this recipe and found it tasty. I prefer to try new recipes after hearing that it was GOOD. I shall have to give this one a try...it looks and sounds like a winner!

:) Hope

Kathleen w said...

Hi, Laura.

I am going to try this again. I just typed a long comment and my computer got hung up and erased it... sigh.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing this recipe. As a diabetic it is hard for me to find recipes that aren't carb heavy but have adequate protein. Carmella is allergic to grains and foods heavy in Vitamin A (think orange stuff like pumpkin and mango) so it is even tougher to find something we can both eat. She loves cheese though so I am going to give this a spin for dinner this week.

I hope all is well in the world of Geese. I got your text and sent a reply with a chicken question earlier this week. My phone was acting funny so I thought maybe it didn't get through since I hadn't heard back from you.

Lots of love,

Kat

Cathy said...

Looks good. I may be back to get the recipe to try.

Hope said...

Hello,

I have changed my blog URL one (DID I SAY ONE?) last time.

I felt that my last one was too long and complicated.

COULD I trouble you to update your reading/blog list?
http://thesimplelifeofhope-publication.blogspot.com/

Sorry for the trouble~
:( Hope

Linda said...

This looks fantastic! You have a lovely blog.